Exercise is always a great way to get out into nature and breathe fresh air while exploring new horizons. If you happen to live in Seattle, there are plenty of activities that you can take part in.
One activity that is especially exciting and can provide spectacular views of Seattle’s cityscape is kayaking on Lake Union. Not only is it exciting, but also relatively easy to learn for beginners. So, if you’re a beginner interested in kayaking on Lake Union, keep reading! In this article, you will find some tips for a smooth start.
Lake Union: Paddling Through the Heart Of Seattle
Lake Union is one of the best places to start kayaking for beginners. It is a freshwater lake in the heart of Seattle with an interesting variety of wildlife that can be seen while paddling. Its views are unique, including amazing panoramic views of the downtown Seattle skyline. Additionally, Lake Union is great because it can be easily accessed from many different points, making it a great spot for kayakers of all skill levels.
Kayaking In Lake Union: Best Launch Spots For Many Adventures
- Gasworks Park: This spot offers amazing views of the Seattle skyline and is popular for kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, and other water activities. It’s also a great spot to launch because of its large public beach and picnic areas.
- Montlake Cut: Montlake Cut is the perfect choice for a more adventurous launch spot. It’s situated at the south end of the lake and provides great views of the Olympic Mountains.
- Portage Bay: Portage Bay is just the place for those looking for a quiet launch spot. This spot offers stunning views of the Cascade Mountains and plenty of parking spots.
- Ballard Locks: Lastly, the Ballard Locks provide a great launch spot for those looking to take in breathtaking Lake Union and Puget Sound views.
Top 3 Kayaking Routes In Lake Union For Beginners
Once you’ve chosen your launch spot, it’s time to hit the waters and explore! Here are 4 recommended kayaking routes in Lake Union for beginners:
1. Gasworks Park Loop: Embark on a picturesque hour-long kayak journey, perfect for beginners. Navigate around the park and be mesmerized by the stunning downtown Seattle skyline views, all while enjoying the serene waters in your kayak boat.
2. Westlake and Fremont Loop: This route takes about two hours to complete and offers amazing views of Lake Union. As you paddle around, you’ll also see the Fremont Troll and other peculiar monuments.
3. Portage Bay Loop: This route takes about an hour and offers amazing views of the Cascade Mountains while allowing you to explore some interesting houseboat communities near the bay.
Essential Items To Pack For A Safe & Enjoyable Kayaking Trip
- A life jacket: Is an absolute must for safety purposes, so pack one before embarking on your adventure.
- Sunscreen: Paddling in the sun can be tiring, so pack some sunscreen to protect your skin.
- Waterproof bag: This will help keep all your items dry while kayaking.
- Snacks & drinks: Packing snacks and drinks is a great way to stay energized while outdoors.
- A map: It’s always a good idea to have a physical or digital map of Lake Union with you so you don’t get lost.
- A whistle: This can be used in case of emergencies.
- First aid kit: This is also important for safety purposes, so bring one with you.
- A hat: Wearing a hat will help protect your head from the sun and keep you cool while paddling.
The Perfect Blend of Urban Living and Waterfront Adventures
If you’re planning to find a new apartment in Seattle and enjoy kayaking, East Howe Steps is a hidden gem you won’t want to miss. Located in the picturesque Eastlake district, our luxury apartment complex offers a unique perk: kayak rentals for residents. Imagine exploring the tranquil waters of Lake Union right from your own backyard.
With a range of floor plans, exceptional customer service, and a pet-friendly atmosphere, East Howe Steps is designed to provide you with a comfortable and convenient living experience. Discover the perfect blend of urban convenience and natural beauty at East Howe Steps. Visit us today and see why our residents love calling this place home.